Succulents are all the rage right now. They’re used as place settings, decoration, gifts, and so much more! For Mother’s Day, I gifted my mom and mother in law these color blocked planters with a succulent! I personally like gifting living things, like flowers or plants. However, I’ve given a hanging plant for the past two years, and they take quite a bit of care to keep alive. A benefit of caring for a succulent is that they’re pretty hard to kill. You water them maybe once a week, give them some light, and they live.
First, I blocked off the area I wanted to paint. You could do this any way you wanted, I chose to do about half of the planter for a modern feel. After I had it blocked off how I wanted, I painted. I used a glossy paint in “sea glass”. This would also look excellent with a chalky finish paint, but I picked up a gloss so I could use it on a few other projects. I had to do quite a few coats because of the finish on the planter.
And there you have it! An easy planter perfect for your home or as a gift! I also made this little terrarium for me! I planted three succulents in a glass fish bowl!
As I mentioned before, caring for succulents is so easy. In fact, I have a hard time keeping most flowers and plants alive, but I’ve kept my succulent alive & thriving for over 5 months now! Most of the time, I honestly forget that it’s even on my window sill. Here are some tips to keep these beauties alive:
- Succulents are thrive in a warm place, like next to a window. They love fresh air, so either take them outside for a few hours or open a window!
- Succulents should be watered a couple tablespoons once every two weeks October-March. From March to October, water these pretties once a week.
- If you are keeping your succulent in indirect light, be sure to give it at least a couple hours a day of sunshine love.
- To plant a succulent, fill the bottom of your vessel with some rocks. This helps drainage and keeps some water at the bottom for the plants to drink whenever they need.
- Place your succulent in, and fill with garden soil so that it is packed.
- Top with some more rocks to weight the succulent down.
Succulents make perfect house plants, and adding a little living green to every room helps each room be able to breathe and rid itself of impurities.